Fathom Analytics, simple website analytics changelog
Your source for recent updates to Fathom Analytics and our simple, privacy-focused website analytics software.
We are actively working on the following features
- Moving our collector to DynamoDB
- Version 3 :o
- A public API
- Tidied up some technical debt. Specficially, we removed some excess deprecated to improve page speed.
- We removed support for ?utm_source and ?ref temporarily. We never actually announced this but we were breaking out the ?ref and placing it in referrers. The downside is that you then lose the referrer value. So our recommendation, for those who noticed the experiment, is to just keep ?ref in place. We'll be "pulling it out" when we move to Version 3!
- Started denormalizing hundreds of millions of stat entries ahead of our move to Elasticsearch
- We now hide the goals box on your shared dashboards if you don't have any goals set-up
- Speaking of shared dashboards, you can now hide the purple promotional banner. If you hide it, you don't get the chance to earn 25% comission on people you refer, but some people are fine with that.
- You can now configure invoices to go to multiple people, not just your account email. This is great if you have an accountant or boss who needs the invoices.
- Fixed an issue where Current Visitors would fire, continuously, when Fathom has logged you out. You wouldn't have noticed this, but we did, so we now redirect you to the login page once you lose your session.
- Removed the stats chart from mobile. Don't worry, we'll be adding it back in Version 3
- For custom domains, your script.js file will now be served much faster and is much smaller. We've built a new deploy method that copies script.js to our entire fleet of custom domain proxies rather than reverse proxying to Cloudfront!
- Improvements to our database IOPS after one customer's analytics went super viral. We'll be moving to DynamoDB in Version 3 but this is a great solution for now
- Improvements to database indexing, speeding up current visitors queries etc.
- Limit current visitors to 150 pages as some customers were seeing thousands of entries (first world problem!)
- Improved speed of data aggregation
- Added total pageviews on hover. So if you see 1.1k in one of your rows, hover over it to see the actual figure
- Added extra security to outbound links (noopener)
- We now have a YouTube channel. But we only have one to reach an audience that is already using it. For others, we built a privacy-focused shield page that requires your consent before you visit YouTube. Radical? Perhaps. But we like it.
- We wrote a ton of automation for various things to free up development time. This doesn't affect you (or excite you) in the slightest, I'm sure, but it's a win because it allows us to spend more time building Fathom
- Our Fathom cats are now fully custom, and fully owned by us. Thanks Natalie @ SaltFlat Studios!
- Optimizations to custom domain provisioning to make it much faster
- We now grab the visitor country from the IP. Previously we used the timezone to establish it. We use a locally hosted database to match the IP to country and we never send the IP to a third party service. We never put the raw IP address into our queue or store it in any way. A raw IP can be tied back to a user, so we are so careful with it. No access logs either. We go to huge lengths to ensure that an IP address touches our server for less than 100 milliseconds, and then it's forgotten. We're really happy with this change and your legal team will love it too
- Tidied the sites table up as it was getting out of control with all the new features we've been adding
- Added additional configuration for uptime monitoring. You can now customize the Check Interval and Notify After setting
- After Cloudflare went crazy and broke the internet, we added throttling to our uptime monitoring feature. This way, you won't get flooded with up/down notifications
- Added unlimited uptime monitoring to all plans at no extra cost
- Added support for ?ref in URLs. So you can override the referrer. Great for tracking campaigns / sources
- Moved our data collector & dashboard to edge-optimized set-up, meaning faster performance globally
- Introduced a much more simple tracking code, with lots of goodies
- Added support guides for installing Fathom in Ember.js, Gatsby.js, Ghost, Next.js, Nuxt.js, Webflow, Vue.js and Other SPAs
- Deployed a gorgeous refactor to our aggregator. This will mean nothing to you, unless you're nerdy like us, but we moved our thread locks from MySQL to DynamoDB
- You can now stop your analytics from tracking you. And guess what? You don't have to use a browser plugin or have a static IP!
- Revamped custom domains, and they're now much faster, along with having better global availability. Jack actually wrote about how we did it. Not to toot our own horn too much but this is the best custom domain solution on the market, and it took months to get it perfect
- Removed that external image from emails we send you. Our logo now comes as an attachment instead
- Added the data export feature back but with so many improvements. Most people didn't care about this feature, since they have no plans to leave Fathom, but we needed to get this back online
- Fixed a dashboard problem that would log you out if you clicked from another site / email
- Custom domains are now live. Read about it here.
- We had our application reported as malware. We quickly contacted all relevant tools that were reporting us as malware and got them to remove us from their blacklists. We've added real time SSL monitoring and this won't happen again
- Added a new section for our podcast
- Huge aggregation refactors to handle the growing number of new sites. Viral sites do not slow down aggregation for others
- Automate account locking if a user's invoice is unpaid for 1+ month. Less admin work = more time for the product
- Automated affiliate payouts to save admin work
- Released email reports weekly / monthly etc.
- Updated logout to be current device only, not all devices
- Improved "Update credit card" process for failed payments
- Introduced affiliate role, allowing people to register as affiliates without opening an account
- Added remember user's preference for current visitors box
- Added "This Year" to date range picker
- Improved automatic dunning to free up our time for development, not chasing invoices
- Improved invoices sent via email (PDF)
- Added email that goes out before yearly subscription renews
- Fixed Firefox issue with red highlight on input boxes
- Added notifications when 2FA is enabled / disabled on accounts
- Improved caching of goals
- Added ability to convert dashboard boxes to percentage view (click the numbers)
- Fixed currency on invoices
- Created a privacy-focused affiliate program, 25% lifetime commissions. Read about it here.
- Created a WordPress plugin for our customers, to display the Fathom dashboard inside WordPress. Read about it here.
- Added option to enable 2FA for our customers. Read about it here.
- Launch of V2
- New marketing site, built on Statamic.
- New dashboard with several new features, including: goal tracking, live visitor details, weekly email reports, dashboard sharing, and under-the-hood speed improvements.
- Added 7-day free trials for all plans.
- New support articles added to public site.
- We also created this changelog (how meta).